I’m proud to have played a small role in helping colleagues to win the top prize at the prestigious, UK Space Propulsion Innovation Awards. My involvement in this was limited to project managing the entries and giving some feedback on presentation style and content, I’m thrilled to have been part of this though.
Pizo actuated pyro valve concept
UK Space Agency
Colleagues Valdis and Sam
I’ve just published a new project on Instructables, an EL wire running jacket for staying safe when running in dark winter nights. The project has been featured by Instructables and has been viewed over 2,000 times in less than 24hrs!
The step by step instructions are available here
My lack of project activity recently can probably be chalked up to the fact that I’ve been spending all of my free time working on an very worthwhile open source design project for oxfam. The project is to design a low cost water dispensing solution, which encourages use my children in a sanitary manner, you can read more about the project here : Oxfam Open Design Project. Here is how my design has progressed so far:
Click the photo for more info about my design
(Perhaps in a fit of vanity) I decided that a medal hanging solution, for my office, was a good idea.
It occurred to me yesterday that I had completed concept designs for some password protection hardware, then completely forgotten about the project! You can follow the current progress of the hardware on the Hackaday website (search for ‘mooltipass’). After submitting concept designs for this open hardware project it became apparent that the goal of the project was to develop hardware for experts / pro-users, this isn’t something I really have an interest in as I believe every piece of design should be approachable and user friendly as possible. Still, I think the renders I produced look really good.
Below is a video recorded during the first real flight of my quadcopter, using the 808 #16 camera which was mounted on board. The quad makes use of the anti-vibrational mount I detailed previously. Considering the test flight was performed on a really windy day, I’m very pleased with the results.
The motivation behind my quadcopter project was to develop a platform for aerial photography. As a first step I thought I would try attaching one of my action cameras to the quad for a test flight, as my 808 #16 camera is no longer in regular use it was the ideal candidate. After my experiences with the rolling shutter effect and my Mobius camera I knew I would need to isolate the camera from the vibrations generated by the quadcopter motors.